Shawn Wetterlin, Building & Zoning Official
City of La Crescent
315 Main Street
La Crescent, MN 55947
Phone: 507-895-4409

Chris Fortsch, Administrative Clerk
City of La Crescent
315 Main Street
La Crescent, MN  55947

Hours: Monday-Friday 7:30 am – 4:00 pm   Please allow 24 hours for inspections.

The Building and Zoning Department issues building permits, plumbing permits, sign permits and regulates the zoning ordinances of the City. The Department enforces the Uniform Building Code and related City ordinances.

Tips for Hiring a Contractor:

Who Needs a License:

Solar Ready Home Certification

La Crescent Solar Ready Certification

Permit Requirement Information:

Permits are NOT required for:

  • Painting and decorating
  • Sidewalks
  • Rain Gutters
  • Sheds 200 sq. feet or less (must meet setback requirements)

Work that requires a permit are:

  • decks
  • sheds that are over 200 sq. feet
  • remodeling projects
  • re-roofing
  • additions
  • new home construction
  • plumbing repairs, alterations, and water heaters (use Plumbing permit application)
  • new furnaces or replacement furnaces (use Mechanical permit application)
  • wood stoves, pellet stoves, Gas Fireplaces (Use Mechanical Permit Application)
  • swimming pools 3000 gallons and over and/or more than 24″ in depth
  • siding
  • manufactured (mobile) homes

Work that requires a zoning permit are:

  • fences – may be placed on the lot line if a decorative fence, the decorative side must be placed facing the abutting property
  • fences – may not exceed 6 feet high from the face of the house to the back lot line and 4 feet high from the front of the house
  • land alteration (fill)
  • signs
  • excavation permits
  • solar panels

Apply for Building, Plumbing, Mechanical, Sign, Fence, and Solar Permits Online by selecting the following link:

Select the following link to search properties on the Beacon site

To find property pins we suggest hiring a MN Licensed Surveyor:

The City can lend a metal detector if you want to find pins on your own.  Contact Shawn Wetterlin, Building and Zoning Official at 507-895-4409.